Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Motorcycle School

So I recently started going to Chattahoochee Technical College for powersports and motorcycle technology, with the end results of hoping to become a certified motorcycle technician.  Most of the motivation really though is to be able to fix my own bikes without having to spend a fortune and a nickle at the local dealership.  After being referred to a local race shop, I was quoted nearly $3,000 to rebuild and remount my 2002 Yamaha R6 engine.  After working at a warehouse for a couple months and getting that quote, that was enough motivation for me to quit my job and look into going to a motorcycle school.  Although getting a job as a technician would be nice, I'd like to buy project bikes, fix and repair and resell for a profit later on in the future when I get to that point.

Since my loans didn't go through this semester, I was only able to afford a couple classes which is better than nothing honestly.  I go to class once a week, 2pm-10pm for two classes back to back.  It's pretty ideal as well because it fits my work schedule for my off day.  It's already been nearly a month and I've learned a good bit per class.  My instructor is pretty great and knowledgeable, and teaches things with a sense of humor all at the same time so you don't catch yourself yawning especially if there's something you don't understand.

My first class is "Intro to Motorcycles," which really is all about motorcycle theory.  It's a good size class with about 20 people in it, and we all pretty much shoot the shit about everything and anything motorcycles.  Almost like a club get together so to speak without the dress code.  We're a big friendly group though with plenty of stories to share, as well as my instructor.  It's really fun though.

My second class is "Motorcycle maintenance." Since I've already mentioned I only go to this class once a week.  My instructor has stated that it'll be mainly about motorcycle service like oil changes, tire change outs, anything relating to bike fluids, and to focus on valve train adjustment.  That's the one thing I'm pretty excited about, because I've haven't a clue where to start when it comes to valve train adjustment.  Because I'm pretty sure my bike with 50k miles definitely needs one.

The last class we had this week, my instructor demonstrated how to change oil on a 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide.  There wasn't much hands on since it was his own bike but the demonstration proved quite to learn from.  Unlike my 1997 Honda CBR600f3 which has a single oil drain plug, where the engine, transmission and clutch share the same oil...My instructor's Harley had 3 different compartments for oil containment which was the primary drive, transmission and the engine itself.  1 quart of oil for the transmission, 1 quart for the primary drive, and 4 quarts of oil for the engine.  I thought that was pretty interesting.  I quickly noted to the professor that it sounds like he's got to spend quite a bit per oil change if he needs 6 quarts of oil compared to my 3.5 quart amount on my bike.  But he mentioned he usually gets a good deal on his oil.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to get more hands on wrenching in the motorcycle shop whether it be changing oil or whatever.  Right now I'm having issues with my charging system on my bike with my stator and rectifier so hopefully I'll be able to get a closer look into it next week.   

No comments:

Post a Comment